Monday, May 12, 2008

Silly Rules and Regulations

So I was back at the ole high school today, covering for a science class.  High school teachers assume subs know nothing of X subject matter, so they often leave videos.
I had lunch in the English Department lounge, as I'd spent many a lunchtime there as a precocious teacher's pet.  The English teachers were all very nice, some recognizing me, and etc.  Mr. C (who was at the time, and remains now, a looker) was talking about how he was going to show his class "Into the Wild", as they're reading the book.  "And I'll have to get permission slips," due to a couple of far-away partial nude shots.

Permission slips? I started describing the videos I was showing today:

The Great Barrier Reef: Nowhere have I heard the word "sperm" mentioned with such frequency.  Nowhere.  (Coolest thing I learned from the video - synchronous spawning.)

Inside the Living Body: You'd have thought this was health class.  In what was actually a very cool video about the human organism, we had: birth, repeated extreme-closeup breastfeeding, cameras shoved inside just about everywhere a camera could be shoved, computer models of reproductive organs, actual footage of said reproductive organs (from the inside), discussions of body hair (complete with CGI), sexual desire, dopamine, oxytocin ... and the kids loved footage of food plopping around as it made its way through various stages of the digestive process. (I kept saying, "This is what's happening to your lunch RIGHT NOW!")

I scoff at your permission slip! 

No comments: