Saturday, March 29, 2008

Poptastic


As many of you know, I am something of a popcorn aficionado.  Not only do I enjoy popcorn, but it serves as an important measure of my psychological state.  For example, if I'm feeling down, I'm probably not in the mood for popcorn.  If my demeanor is improving, the desire for popcorn often serves as an outside indicator that things are looking up.  But it's not only a comfort food, it's also a tasty treat.

I've been eating popcorn for as long as I can remember.  My parents used to make popcorn almost every night, and I'd get a small bowl for myself.  As time went on, I would get a larger bowl.  I remember standing on a stool, watching the first kernels pop, on our now-defunct Wear-Ever air popper (IMHO, the finest air popper ever made, hands-down).  After an extensive search for another air popper (I look down my nose at the microwave variety), I settled on the Presto model, after a few bad experiences with less pricey models.

I wasn't a bit surprised as I read Slate's article on popcorn poppers as they confirmed all of the experiences that I've had over the years.  I've even tried their #2, and that's the same place I'd rank it, after years of scientific experimentation.

Three cheers for popcorn!

No comments: