Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love


After staying up too late doing nothing in particular, I got a 7:30am phone call.  Am I available to fill in a sub spot for 8th graders?  "Yes," I said, "I can do that." Commence a mad dash around the house, in and out of the shower, making sure I'm wearing shoes with heels to augment my height, tossing food into my mouth, throwing together a lunch, and checking that my shirt comes up high enough soas to not pull a Hillary.  I realize that this adrenaline rush isn't going to last forever, and hurry some black tea into a travel mug.  It's not as much caffeine as I'd like to have for this occasion, but it's better than nothing.

fast forward seven hours

Well, nothing caught on fire.  I managed to maintain an almost dead calm the entire day.  Anything else would have been just Too Much.

Strangely, this type of temping still feels better to me than does temping in the form of filing papers inside a highrise.

No comments: